Monday, August 31, 2015

Get Listed at the Top of a Google Search

Getting your site or page listed at the top of the search results on Google or Bing /Yahoo can be a daunting task to say the least. I started this experiment in May 2015 when my organic search rank was about as poor as it could be.

I started reading blog articles form so-called search gurus, I purchased software that was supposed to make my site and business easy to rank, but these never seemed to live up to the promise.

I began working on the simple solution to a complex problem.
I started to look at sites that were ranking naturally at the top, comparing them to mine. What were the differences? My site after all is pretty damn awesome, if I do say so myself.

It seemed nearly impossible to show up for the phrases I thought were the best. Seems everyone was using those same keywords. What I didn't know previously is that even though my content was descriptive and original, many people wouldn't know the first thing about what it is that my business does.

I found a very easy way to make sure that you get listed both nationally and locally for the specific categories that describe your business.

Experiment 1 - explain it in terms that anyone could understand. Almost as if writing a script or a narrative. Like this article. For some reason, Google notices this. Previously I was using keywords and content that I might search to find my company.

The first thing I started doing is taking a closer look at what my content was really saying. Was I regurgitating the same old content? I quickly realized that I was bored with the content on my site.
Why should anybody else, including Google feel any differently? The fact is they didn't.

I began looking up acronyms as well as using a thesaurus to discover all of the different words and abbreviations that might replace technical terms. Now I know this might sound a little silly, It does to me even as I write this. However, this approach, although it's not the only part of the process that gave me success, it is a very important component.

After all attempting to compete with the most popular search terms can be a dead end, at least in the short-term.

Experiment 2: Video - what does video do for your organic rank? It ads media content where there was none. This is very important because Google wants businesses to use YouTube along with its other properties as much as possible. Even if it's a simple movie with photographic slides.
I began to see a similar content  on many of the sites and business listings that existed around the top of the search engine results.

I will update this article on a daily basis with  screenshots that show my ranking and listings along with search phrases that are working for my site.

If you would like to email me to discuss your site and how to get listed please visit: PDX Design: SEO Techniques

2 comments:

  1. Schema Creator
    Schemas provide users with an enhanced experience where they are presented with specific details about a particular company or organization on search engine results pages (SERPs). With this tool, you can customize how your results, including your reviews, operating hours, events, etc., will appear on Google and other search engines.
    You can also integrate the schema code easily – it’s as simple as copying and pasting. The tool also has a free WordPress plugin version.
    If you like this tool, there’s also a Scheme app which you can try for free for 14 days. There are multiple price structures depending on your current needs / business size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schema Creator
    Schemas provide users with an enhanced experience where they are presented with specific details about a particular company or organization on search engine results pages (SERPs). With this tool, you can customize how your results, including your reviews, operating hours, events, etc., will appear on Google and other search engines.
    You can also integrate the schema code easily – it’s as simple as copying and pasting. The tool also has a free WordPress plugin version.
    If you like this tool, there’s also a Scheme app which you can try for free for 14 days. There are multiple price structures depending on your current needs / business size.

    ReplyDelete